It is a brand new year and it seems that almost everyone longs to get organized. Many of the people I work with say that is their number one work goal for this year.
Did you ever really stop to think about why you want to get organized? Life Hacker’s Walter Glenn, says that we long to get organized because we want to achieve the goals that getting organized will allow us to achieve.
This got me thinking…I am a very organized person and I like being organized because.
- organization helps me be less stressed ( that sure sounds like a worthwhile goal) and if you know me well, you know I don’t do well with stress:)
- Being organized lets me be more productive. If I am organized and can find things quickly, I can get more done in a day!
I don’t know about you but my life can be very over overwhelming . My being organized means…
- I don’t have to “sweat the small stuff”. If I can find things, and what to do with things when I finish them it makes my job less overwhelming.
- Filing away what I have finished each day gives me a sense of accomplishment and helps me feel more in control of my life.
- Being organized, frees me to have time to do what I love the most which is working on client work and I spend less time doing the things I don’t like as much like billing. I use the cloud to organize each clients work and enter what I have done, the time I have spent and when I spend it. Then, when the job is complete it only takes a few minutes to bill my clients and they can always log on and see the project status and current project costs.
- Clearing my desk of work at the end of each day, lets me start the next day without stress. I can find things more the next day quickly and seeing my desk piled with stuff causes me to stress before I even start working.
Being organized means paying attention to the way you work and creating systems that make the way you work more efficient, less stressful and more enjoyable.
You need to pay attention to your workflow and design systems that work for you to increase your productivity and free you to do the things you love. So every day, look at what does not work and figure out how to change it so it does work Trust me, the rewards are worth it!